Contract Coordinating

Subject: Contract Coordinating
From: DocuMania <dcma -at- MAIL1 -dot- NAI -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:06:42 -0500

Linda asks for suggestions on how manage client unreliability when it comes
to delivering materials for jobs, and honoring her schedule.

I deal with it by accepting a job conditionally. "Yes, I am available to
take your project based on a start date between xx/xx and yy/yy and a
finish date of zz/zz. If you are unable to deliver materials within that
time frame, we will have to renegotiate" (or "I have a project coming in
right behind yours so if there's a scheduling hiccup we will need to
rearrange"). Something like that.

I run into this all the time trying to juggle temp jobs (through agencies)
and freelance work (coming directly to me), both of which pop up with no
notice and fuzzy time frames. This puts me into a win some/lose some
situation but keeps bread on the table. Because financial survival is a
clear-cut priority, I determine what work I take based on that need.

My husband, meanwhile, takes everything that comes in the door regardless
of lead time or delivery date. I find that too dangerous. I would rather
lose the job up front than botch it, so tell clients probably more than
they want to know about the vagaries of my schedule and consequences of
messing it up.

--Carolyn Haley
DocuMania
dcma -at- ct1 -dot- nai -dot- net