Re: military time terminology

Subject: Re: military time terminology
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:05:31 -0600

John Engler wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Just wondering what y'all use/have seen used as far as terminology to
> indicate military time/24 hr. format?

Well, in the military it's always four digits:
Midnight 0000
Noon 1200
6:19PM 1819

In Europe, where they frequently use 24-hour time, they'll throw in a
comma:
Midnight 00:00
9:45 PM 22:45
(...or is it a period? It's been 12 years since I was there...)

Further, in the military they extend the system to include YY/MM/DD.
For example, today, right now, as I type this, would be (I think I have
this right):
970115-1104

...although I doubt I'll use this in a GUI any time soon...