Re: Entry Level position

Subject: Re: Entry Level position
From: KLShaw <KLShaw -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:24:53 -0800

Emily,

In terms of complexity and required expertise, your position may not be
entry level. But I think most employers would still consider someone
with less than one year of experience on the job "entry level." Why not
wait until your annual review/one-year anniversary to explore the
possibility of a position upgrade? After a full year on the job, and
especially with a positive performance review, you would be in a much
stronger position to request an upgrade.

One word of caution -- some employers will continue to define certain
positions as entry level, regardless of the incumbent's responsibilities
or skills, simply because they want to maintain the entry-level salary.
I ran into this problem in my first editorial job. After three years in
an "entry-level" position, I was no longer an entry-level editor doing
entry-level work. But the employer refused to consider upgrading the
position or even raising my salary, so I moved on. Hope you will have
better luck.

Best regards,

Kim Shaw
Words & Graphics Inc.