File Manager long names

Subject: File Manager long names
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:37:18 GMT

Michael Wing writes:

Doesn't Explorer come standard with Windows95? This program
displays long filenames. I thought the program was a
replacement/upgrade for File Manager.
<<

Well, yes, it does and it is. Explorer is supposed to be the
improved replacement, but in my view it is not a step
forward, but sideways. Explorer is prettier, but there are
things it can't do at all, and others it doesn't do as well
as winfile.exe.

The several dozen people who have asked about the LFN addon
for File Manager after I just made a passing mention of it
seems to indicate that there is a considerable body of
opinion that likes File Manager.

To remind people - it is available for download from my
pages at http://home.clara.net/hairydog/index.html The
TechComm mailing list pages are on the same site, by the
way.

Iain Harrison