Knowing prog. lang. +s to a TW's $?

Subject: Knowing prog. lang. +s to a TW's $?
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 08:02:35 -0800

Sorry for the cryptic header...I wanted to get the whole sentence into
the 37 characters typically allowed in subject lines.

My question:

Does knowing a programming language add to a technical writer's value?

I know that understanding programming concepts does, but does knowing the
specific language used by the programmers ever help? I'd imagine it helps if
your company writes APIs or is writing for a programming audience, but what
about when the company writes shrink-wrap software, or software otherwise
not intended for programmers?

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
http://www.crl.com/~techwrtr/