Graphics too large for a floppy

Subject: Graphics too large for a floppy
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:32:09 +0100

Hello,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von David Jones an All am 07.01.97

DJ> From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>

DJ> BTW, if your BMP is that big, I'd suggest using a file format
DJ> that
DJ> supports compression, such as TIF, GIF, PCX, or JPEG ... It's
DJ> easy to
DJ> convert BMP to other formats ...

as long as you remain in the MS-Windows universe, BMP will defenitely work.
JPEG is out for screenshots as it deletes "high-frequency" contents like sharp
edges. This is a reasonable choice for photos, but not if you need to read the
text within the screenshot afterwards.

A good choice as a compressing format would be GIF 89. It does not distort the
pictures and is clearly standardized. BTW it is the format of choice for WWW
applications. But remember that GIF is limited to 256 colors.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)