Re: Customer feedback re documentation?

Subject: Re: Customer feedback re documentation?
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:52:02 -1000

I think the best customer feedback you can get re documentation is
to have your tech support people track calls that (1) were caused by
problems with the docs, or (2) could be avoided by revising the
docs. I would think this could be applied in a beta test phase just
as well as general release.

One of our Systems Analysts got a lot of feedback when he asked his
users to list their Top Ten questions about the software. I think he
got responses from 10 of his 13 users, some including over 50
questions. He worked out answers to the 125 most common ones, we
added them to the documentation, and seem to have a bunch of happy
users now.

I'd love to learn his secret for getting such a response rate ... <G>

On 7 Jan 97 at 15:27, Tina Cipolla wrote:

> Marlene asked:
> Does anyone here survey their customers on the documentation they
> produce?
>
> In the introduction to our latest manual we have the following
> statement:
>
> "Send your comments about this user manual to the following e-mail
> address:" and then it lists an address.
>
> I have seen no feedback come in from this so far.

David Jones, Technical Writer
dvjones -at- ksbe -dot- edu

Thought for the day:
Concerto (n): a fight between a piano and a pianist.

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".