Re: Documentation Group needs advice!

Subject: Re: Documentation Group needs advice!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:49:30 -0500

Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>

>Apropos the whole Frame v. Word issue, I think this discussion >begs the question: Why quibble?

Well, if you're going to spoil everything by being reasonable :-)

>Frame is, IMO, the best Tech Publications tool in the business >- and one
>of its signal advantages is that it can digest, on the fly, >material from just about ANY word processor on the market.

The question is how reliable its imports are. No matter how it's done,
importing and exporting of files from one word processor to another
rarely receives adequate attention, possibly because the programming is
time-consuming and expensive. From the questions on various mail lists,
Frame is no exception.

I suppose that whether its conversion process is adequate depends on the
complexity of the documents being exported. At times, cleaning up a
converted file can almost take more time than redoing it from scratch.
But, the simpler the document, the fewer the problems are likely to be.

And, to answer a post from the last couple of days, one good reason to
use MS Word as well as Frame is that all sorts of add-ons are available
for Word. Some of them are even affordable.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer

"You can go home again, so long as you understand that home
is a place you have never been." --Ursula K. Le Guin