Re: Formatting Chaos

Subject: Re: Formatting Chaos
From: Chris Boehm <Chris -dot- Boehm -at- INEACORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:23:54 -0500

I'd call a halt immediately. Make your voice heard loud and clear
throughout the organization. You may step on some toes, and it might be
the hardest thing to do now, but imagine the frustration it will save in
the long run.

Remember, you're the expert. Reiterate that you've never seen anything
like this before, or heard of anyone who does it this way. Ask this guy
for proof-documented support that other people do projects this way, or
that this is the wave of the future. My guess is that no one is crazy
enough to have done it successfully before.
Ask the company if they really want to try something that is *so*
uncommon, at the risk of failing miserably, or do they want good
documentation.

Ask the company how they would respond if they were the customer and
received documentation like this. Maybe he needs to finish a sample
which can be tested against the normal documentation on a group of
users. After all, if they've waited this long and are willing to pay
that much money, one little beta test won't hurt, and it will also steer
you in the right direction. If he hasn't finished anything in 1 year,
also ask the company how committed they really think he is to the
documentation, the customers, and the product.

Worst case: threaten to leave, and be ready to do so. If you've made
your opinion known and feel strongly enough about it, they're bound to
listen. (Plus, you've shown results, as opposed to his non-results.)

I also think the responses you receive from this list will back you up
as to how impractical the idea is.