Filename--One word?

Subject: Filename--One word?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 16:02:56 -0500

Sean Cleary <clearys -at- HSN -dot- NET wrote:

>I know that Microsoft considers "filename" to be a compound >word.
>Is this an accepted standard?

Actually, my copy of "The Microsoft Manual of Style" suggests that it
should be two words. If Microsoft is writing it as one word, then the
company's not following its own style guide.

Not that the MMOS is the final word on usage, although it's sometimes
handy to have. But I notice that it's inconsistent when it comes to
compound words. For example, why "menu bar" (two words), but "statusbar"
(one word)?

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer

"You can go home again, so long as you understand that home
is a place you have never been." --Ursula K. Le Guin