Re: Do's and Don'ts

Subject: Re: Do's and Don'ts
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 14:39:16 -0800

At 03:50 PM 12/31/96 +0000, Tracy Boyington wrote:
>> << >I need to use the phrase "Do's and Don'ts" except that I'm not
>> >quite sure on how it should be written: "Dos" or "Do's".
>>
>> "Do's" is often used, but I think it's a sign of creeping illiteracy:
>> many people, I notice, don't know the difference between a plural and
>> a possessive apostrophe.

>I don't like using "Do's" because the misplaced apostrophe is one of
>my pet peeves (and I'm on a one-woman crusade to educate the world).
>What about using DOs and DON'Ts?

I thought this thread had petered out long ago, but if the popular press
means anything I saw the cover of a woman's magazine (Cosmopolitan?) with
Tracy's formulation at the grocery checkout stand.

--Wayne Douglass
Connecting People with Information
Verity, Inc. Email: wayned -at- verity -dot- com
894 Ross Drive Telephone: 408-542-2139
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 Facsimile: 408-542-2040