DTP tools

Subject: DTP tools
From: Miki Magyar <MDM0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 09:29:17 -0700

Jane Bergen commented "that many writers do not understand the word
"desktop publishing application"! Word is NOT a dtp application. "

Woops - let's be careful with our language here. Word may not have
been designed as a DTP tool, but it is certainly used as such. I think we
should discriminate between the description of the tool and the
description of the process. The fact that so many people listed something
other than specifically-designed-for-DTP tools as what they use for DTP
functions indicates to me that we have an intuitive understanding of this
distinction.

The secondary discussions of whether a particular tool is better for one
purpose than another falls into the category of 'oh no, here we go again'
preference wars. I'd suggest that it would be more useful to all of us if
we restrain ourselves from dissing stuff we don't like, and only making
verifiable statements about what does and doesn't work in our
experience.

Miki
mikim -at- mcdata -dot- com
That's what I think.