Specification Dox

Subject: Specification Dox
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 09:27:05 -0600

Fellow Whirlies:

I've been a tech writer for a while - but I've primarily specialized in
end-user materials, especially CBT, Online Help and Usability.

Now, I'm in a situation where I have to also produce System Spec and
Requirement documentation.

On my current project, I've inherited a document that, by general
acclamation, is "just OK", but it's too late in the project to change
it. It presents each requirement in the form of a "feature", in kind of
a clunky format. However, there will be other project, so...

What do you think is the best way to capture, document, present and
maintain software system requirements?

It's a fairly broad question, because I'm looking for broad answers. If
needed, I'll focus it more closely later.

Thank you in advance.

Mitch Berg
mberg -at- is -dot- com