Re: Ebonic Plague

Subject: Re: Ebonic Plague
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:12:50 -0800

Mr. Westbrook's post (below) tells us several things:

1) He incorrectly assumes there is such thing as "proper English" when, in
fact, there is not.

2) He thinks Black speech is an incorrect rendering of this mythical
"proper English," which he assumes the English spoken by *some*
middle-class white people to be. In fact, it is not an incorrect or poorly
learned version of "proper English," but a dialect or variant with its own
grammar and syntax.

3) He feels no compunction about making racist assumptions and remarks in
regard to African American culture and language, referring to their unique
vernacular as somehow a function of being poor, lazy, and on welfare, which
it is not.

Mr. Westbrook reveals much about the errant assumptions in his thinking,
shared, I am afraid, by far too many insular, elitist, and misinformed
white people. His post is one of the most offensive and spurious things I
have read on this list.

- tgr