Re: Correct syntax: "errored frame" or "error framed?"

Subject: Re: Correct syntax: "errored frame" or "error framed?"
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:03:37 -0800

At 12:57 PM 12/16/96 +0200, Harvey Kaniel wrote:
>My client's datasheet contains the following statement:

>The XYZ frame includes the Error Indicator bit which shows
>if the current frame is "errored frame."

>I changed it to "error framed." The client claims this phrase
>is an industry standard and should read: "errored frame."
>Any suggestions as to which is correct?

>If this is not of interest to the list, I will be happy to receive

It's a fine distinction, to be sure, whether the frame is in error
(errored frame) or there's a frame around the error (error framed).
I'd stick with the orriginal. Your rewrite shades the meaning just
enough to make the client uncomfortable.

It's often uncomfortable for one who deals in the preciseness of
language to accept industry-standard verbiage. ;-) But unless
you've got a detailed audience analysis under your belt that
says the target user group definitely does not understand this
phrase, I'd yield to the client.

Just my opinion.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com