Certification/Degrees

Subject: Certification/Degrees
From: Alisa Dean <Alisa -dot- Dean -at- MCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:39:00 -0700

Tim Altom wrote:

>We must actively and openly express a choice...profession or gaggle?
>If we're a clerical gaggle, we must then forever shut up and never, never
>complain when we're asked to type the boss's letters. That's what clerks do.

We are a profession. I am not asked to type letters for the boss.
I don't believe a certification program is the way to try to demand
respect in the field. Our actions and products should be doing this.

Since I disagree with you, I guess I must learn how to honk and goose people.
(Actually, I have a few people I wouldn't mind doing that to - does
that make me a clerk?).

Alisa Dean
Sr. Technical Writer
alisa -dot- dean -at- mci -dot- com