Re: Marketing Intervention

Subject: Re: Marketing Intervention
From: Sharon Rosenthal/MANUGISTICS <Sharon_Rosenthal -at- MANU -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:00:03 EDT

Certainly technical communicators can do the job from any group in a company.
I have worked in the Marketing department as well as the Development team. I
prefer to be part of the Development team. I find that I am less likely to be
overlooked as a team member when I am officially part of the team, I have more
credibility, and I have a better relationship with the engineers and
programmers. I was consulted more often on how changes to the software affect
documentation, I had better cooperation for developing online Help and
tutorials, and I had a chance to contribute to the software by commenting
formally on the user interface and useful features and enhancements.

Of course, I do not write marketing material as part of my regular job. This
may make a difference.

--Sharon Rosenthal
Rockville, Maryland
srosenth @ manu.com