Re: Marketing Intervention

Subject: Re: Marketing Intervention
From: TIMMERMAN <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:03:16 CST

Tracy Darden writes (in part),

Also, there is speculation that our Documentation Department will be
moved from within the Development organization to Marketing after the
first of the year. I am opposed to this move, as I feel technical
documentation and product development go hand in hand. Opinions?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Replay Separator * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A move from Development to Marketing is a change, and most people
don't like change. Change takes us out of our comfort zone,
regardless of how small the change is. I would probably be opposed to
this change too. However, I have been part of the Field Service
Department, the Marketing Department, the Engineering Department, and
a full cost recovery Technical Communications Department at the many
places I have worked. What's my point? Technical writers can belong
to any department. They will still get the job done, and done right.
There are always advantages and disadvantages to belonging to one
department or another. Make the change work for you. Find the things
that will make this change advantageous. The option is to fight the
change, and have everything turn into road blocks.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Sr. Tech. Writer