Re: Style question

Subject: Re: Style question
From: Linda Castellani <castle -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:00:03 -0800

Some clients just seem to worry too much about what is "right"'
or "correct" rather than what conveys the message most effectively. In
my experience, they seem to fall into two categories: either extremely
anal retentive, or unsure of their own writing abilities and therefore
afraid that something "wrong" will make them look stupid. In the
latter category, I had a client who insisted on putting extra commas in
everywhere. For that client I just had to abandon everything I knew
about where commas belonged and just put them in wherever I knew he was
going to want them.

On the one hand, I was making the client happy. On the other, I
was producing work that I didn't particularly want in my portfolio.
(Speaking of sending samples without the ability to provide a context!)