An Information Request

Subject: An Information Request
From: Tom Lange <Tom_Lange -at- DELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:26:00 CST

First Situation:

I have the task of writing a set of helps for a product that will snap
into (or at least look like) UNIX HP OpenView Helps. The best I can
determine the HP OpenView helps conform to the OSF Common Desktop
Environment (CDE) standards as explained in the CDE: Help System
Author's and Programmer's Guide. According to this guide, the helps
are created using SGML and something called HelpTag. The graphics must
be .tif files.

Second Situation:

We have a large number of icons in the windows .bmp format. We need to
convert them to a format usable in UNIX. The only format the software
program appears to use is the .xpm format.

Now the questions:

Do any of you know what HelpTag is?
Do any structured editors exist for writing this type of help
(something like RoboHelp)?
Do any of you know of a graphics tool that can convert the .bmp files
to .xpm files? (This may require more than one stage.)
Which graphics tools will convert .bmp files to .tif files?

Please respond to me directly rather than posting to the list.

Thank you for your help.

Tom Lange
tom_lange -at- us -dot- dell -dot- com