Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: Roger Morency <rogerm -at- ONTARIO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:45:30 -0500

Have any of you ever been given a test when interviewed? I have used this
technique in the past and have been pleased with the results. Simply set up
a fictional task requiring a fairly simple procedure to written for it.
Pick a task that will take an hour or less to document. You, as the
interviewer, doubles as the SME. This precess reveals a lot about the
candidate, such as:

1) Does s/he ask about a style guide?
2) Does s/he ask intelligent questions about the task?
3) Does s/he work well under pressure?
4) Did s/he document the procedure thoroughly?

The test should not be the only criteria for evaluating the candidate, but
you will find it to be a very effective way to weed out imposters.

Beware: Senior Tech. Writers may be 'offended' by this tact. The good ones,
however, will simply use it as a way to show off their talents.

Roger M.