Re: Dynamic HTML -- a definition

Subject: Re: Dynamic HTML -- a definition
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 12:19:58 -0800

At 02:46 PM 12/7/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All;

>Maybe it's just me, but it's the document that's dynamic, not the HTML.
>The generated document dynamically changes depending on user responses
>inside a form. The HTML form itself isn't modified and neither is the
>HTML inside the database.

You're right, in your own way. Your definition of "HTML" does not include
the text nested within the HTML tags. Generally, neither does mine. My
explanation of dynamic HTML does not describe a situation in which the HTML
tags are dynamic; only the text nested in the tags. I wrote that explanation
to show a simple example of how an HTML document can be manipulated based on
some input.

But let's not dwell on that. My problem truly does involve manipulating the
entire HTML document, including adding table rows, A-links, and other
document features. In fact, I add one or more table rows in which the last
cell contains or does not contain a form depending on the data returned from
a query.

Here's some bits of pseudo code that describe one piece of what we do (I'm
leaving out < and > to eliminate problems with mail programs interpreting it
as actual HTML):

table
%AddTableRow%
/table

definition of %AddTableRow%:
tr
td stuff here /td
td stuff here /td
td stuff here /td
td %AddForm% /td
tr

definition of %AddForm%:
form
several input fields
/form

I'd describe in words how it works, but I'd be giving away some information
that is company proprietaty. You'll just have to take it on faith that the
HTML (text and tags) are manipulated (added, changed, etc.) based on
information returned from a query.

Now, does that satisfy a definition of "pure" dynamic HTML?

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com