Re (2): Work Arounds with MS Word and large, long documents

Subject: Re (2): Work Arounds with MS Word and large, long documents
From: William Warner <Bill -dot- Warner -at- RELIASTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 13:04:35 -0600

I received 7 responses (THANKS!) to the following message. Each of
these tech writers had been frustrated with MS Word's limitations and
each recommended using a DTP program such as Framemaker, Interleaf.
Unfortunately this year's budget for my area does not allow for the
purchase of a DTP program. One respondent described a macro that I
want to try.

Has anyone found a way to make MS Word work with large documents?
Has anyone used a work-around to make the Reference Document or Master
Document-Subdocument functionality work in compiling a TOC, dealing
with pagination, and preserving the numbering sequencing of captions?
I will be very much in your debt if you have a workaround to share!

>Problem: In MS Word for Windows 95--each of our tech writers work
>with very long (up to 600 pages) and large (numerous bitmaps)
documents. Each of us have tried various solutions and work-arounds
such as Reference Document approach and the Master
document/subdocument approach in MS Word 6. I was not impressed with
either approach. What do you recommend?

What are the pros and cons of using a Reference Document versus a
Master Document and subdocuments?

The approach I take should span all the MS Word docs for the: TOC,
captions/figures numbering, pagination.

Bill Warner, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Writer
ReliaStar Financial