define/defend your role

Subject: define/defend your role
From: Miki Magyar <MDM0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:32:25 -0700

On , 3 Dec, Gina Watts asked how she should handle being told to define
her job in order to 'bring the team on board.'

I'd suggest you take it as a goddess-given opportunity to educate your
co-workers, most of whom probably haven't a clue about what you do
or why it matters. A positive, up-beat presentation showing how you will
make their job easier, contribute to the company's goals and profits, and
how your work fits in with theirs can make life MUCH easier for you in
the future. Most/many of us have had to do this piecemeal, often without
management support. In your presentation, make sure you publicly thank
your manager for his support - not only does it establish your position,
but it also puts him on record. And you can use the specific project as an
example of what and how your plan to do things.

Unless he's given you some reason to think that your position needs
defending, I suspect you may be feeling more defensive than you need
to be, because it's a new position and there's so much change. Don't
panic until you have to.

Good luck!
Miki
mikim -at- mcdata -dot- com