Re: Using MS Word 7 with Long and Large documents

Subject: Re: Using MS Word 7 with Long and Large documents
From: "Mahoney, Jane B." <Jane_B_Mahoney -at- TVRATINGS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:56:00 PST

William Warner writes:

Problem: In MS Word for Windows 95--each of our tech writers work
with very long (up to 600 pages) and large (numerous bitmaps)
documents. Each of us have tried various solutions and work-arounds
with little success in terms of accurate table of contents,
captions/figures, pagination, etc. Over a year ago, I utilized the
Reference Document approach and the Master document/subdocument
approach in MS Word 6. I was not impressed with either approach.
What do you recommend?
It was just this Word dilemma, that neither approach is good, that drove us
and others to FrameMaker and Interleaf. They are designed to handle large
documents, and do so much better than Word, which was designed as a word
processor.

If you possibly can change, I recommend you do so. After the learning curve,
you'll be delighted by the increase in productivity that comes from using a
tool suited to the job.