Re: Framemaker?

Subject: Re: Framemaker?
From: Keith Anderson <kanderso -at- TRI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:59:29 -0500

I think tech writing students should be introduced to Macs, PCs, UNIX,
Word, FrameMaker, Ventura, and even WinHelp tools. It's unfortunate, but
most schools don't want to invest in the real-world tools or are so
involved with their own political battles that departments with the
resources to help each other will not work together.

The reality is that our industry is vast. You never know what you will
be working on next. That's business. I recently graduated after going to
school part time for about eight years. If my school was a reflection of
reality, the entire tech writing industry would be using Mac Classics
with Word 5 and PageMaker 3. I even had a class two years ago in a room
using TRS-80s.

I think most industries have similar academic roots. There's theory and
then there's reality.

Keith Anderson

The Registry
Documentation Services Practice