Re: Advanced Degrees

Subject: Re: Advanced Degrees
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:09:13 -0800

At 01:37 PM 12/2/96 -0500, John Posada wrote:
>With the workload placed on HR departments, how many of them actualy check to
>see if you've received the degree that you say you have. I'm not talking about
>credentials for a doctor, lawyer, or political position where you have to be
>approved by congress ...but if you were to say that you received a BS or BA
>from an average run-of-the-mill institution, would they find out...or would
>they even try to find out?

It depends on the company. Sun Microsystems, for example, does a very
thorough check, which they call the SunScreen. A friend of mine who still
works at Sun endured considerable delays in joining the company when UCLA
refused to confirm his degrees because of an outstanding library fine! (He
eventually called an old friend who paid his fine so that UCLA would release
his transcripts.) Talk about karma.

--Wayne Douglass
Verity, Inc. Email: wayned -at- verity -dot- com
894 Ross Drive Telephone: 408-542-2139
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 Facsimile: 408-542-2040