Re: Code-based Manual

Subject: Re: Code-based Manual
From: Daniel P Read <danielread -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:41:19 EST

>>Keith Posner wrote about planning a manual for a code-based system
>>(rather than GUI).
>>Focus is important. You can demonstrate types of real-world tasks with
>>some examples, but you cannot cover each possible request. Categorizing
>>requests into types will probably organize the information about
syntax
>>that you'd like to convey.
>>Obvious, I know -- but true. It is too easy to assume you can cover
all
>>scenarios in one manual.

I would add to this that you want to make sure you combine the
tutorial/examples approach with another section that contains a
command/function reference, with a standard template for organizing the
reference for each command/function. The template should include
classifications for the commands, syntax, examples (be prolific with code
examples), details on each component of the syntax, notes and caveats,
and cross reference to other related commands.

Daniel Read
danielread -at- juno -dot- com