Re: flat fee question...

Subject: Re: flat fee question...
From: Gurudutt Kamath/Technical Writing Centre <guruk -at- GIASBM01 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:04:23 +0530

Hi all,

I write user manuals for applications and charge $1000 (USD) per manual
of about 300 pages. Clients prefer a flat fee. But the problem is that
they don't appreciate the time limit of 60 days (flexi-time basis). As
the application gets fixed, and re-fixed, another 30-60 days get added,
albeit the number of days worked maybe 5-10 days. This is really
troublesome. I think flat-fee has this problem. And everyone says, "The
product is 95% ready." Whatever that means. So do define the boundaries
clearly for the flat fee. How about maximum of XX hours? Or, work should
be over by so and so date. Just thought I will share this with everyone...

Greetings from a technical writer in Mumbai (formerly Bombay), India.

Guru

<*()Technical Writing Centre, Mumbai, India
<*()Email:guruk -at- giasbm01 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in
<*()Homepage:http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath/index.html
<*()Voice:91-22-886 21 83 Pager: 9624-215 911