Telecommuting freelancers -- Editing their work

Subject: Telecommuting freelancers -- Editing their work
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 06:57:10 PST

The distinction is, I think, between specifying WHAT they
must produce and the process by which they must produce it.
I imagine that you do the first, but not the second.

If you have a contract writer and you specify that they must
submit drafts in MS Word format, using no passive
voice and a specific template to correspond with your style,
you're specifying the product. No problem.

If you tell them how to write--
first outline, then write topic sentences for each
paragraph, then write the procedural steps, then ....,
you might be toeing the line.

IMH--not a lawyer-O,
Eric

--- On Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:17:43 -0500 Danna Cardwell <DLCardwe -at- SOFTART -dot- COM> wrote:

> As an editor, I edit the work of both employees and contract writers.
> Editing is, by nature, an instructional process. By telling the
> contractors how to write to meet our standards, am I crossing the
> line?

> Thanks,
> Danna
> dlcardwe -at- softart -dot- com
Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com