Re: Advanced Degrees

Subject: Re: Advanced Degrees
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:43:29 +0100

Elaine wrote:

> I have a related question. I'm a technical editor (I'll edit
> anything, I'm not picky) with most of my experience (almost 5 years
> with "technical editor" in my title) in science. If I went back for
> a Master's in Technical Communication, emphasizing writing more than
> editing, would it help me get ahead, or would I be wasting my time
> since I'd probably be able to get into the writing aspect OJT?

I think in a place like IBM they would be interested in the exact nature
of your degree. I'm working in a small company where they wouldn't have
any idea about what the difference is between a writer and an editor. In
these kinds of places you always have to do both anyway.

Mike Dannenberg
ETAS GmbH & Co.KG
midannen -at- si -dot- bosch -dot- de