Re: Advanced Degrees

Subject: Re: Advanced Degrees
From: Daniel P Read <danielread -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:57:28 EST

"tgr" wrote:

>>>Having a Master's degree is a significant achievement that speaks
positively of one's ambition, intelligence, and goal orientation, IMHO,
even when it doesn't directly apply to one's professional field. I'm
finishing my MA in English with a technical writing focus in the Spring
of
1997. I will be very glad to be ahead of the pack.<<<

My comments concerning the questionable value of advanced degrees in the
technical career marketplace was not based on my personal opinion on the
value of higher education in general and masters and doctorate degrees in
specific. I do have respect for someone who achieves this level of
education because I know from watching many friends over the years
achieve them that they take hard work as well as a huge sacrifice of time
and standard of living.

There is no doubt in my mind that having one of these higher degrees
makes you a more attractive candidate. But if I had a choice (all else
being equal) between hiring someone with a backelors and three years of
intense job experience and a masters with little or none, I'd hire the
guy with the experience every time.

Daniel Read
danielread -at- juno -dot- com