Re: Question about capitalization

Subject: Re: Question about capitalization
From: "R. SITZE" <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:36:38 -0700

I realize that this question may not be appropriate to the list, so
please send replies directly to me.

I know that directional words like north, southern, etc. are capitalized
only when they refer to specific regions. My grammar reference specifies
regions of the United States. The question I have is this:

In a statement referring to "the south of France" would South be
capitalized or not? In other words, would that be regarded as a direction
or a region?

Thanks, RoMay

RoMay Sitze
rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu