Funky (bad) bullets from RoboHelp 95!

Subject: Funky (bad) bullets from RoboHelp 95!
From: Alisa Dean <Alisa -dot- Dean -at- MCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:29:00 -0700

Robert Barlow-Busch writes:
>I'm creating a Windows help file for use in a 3.1 environment. I'm
>authoring in Windows 95, using RoboHelp 95. The problem: when I run the
>help file on 3.1, all my bullets are tiny little lower-case "n"s. This
>doesn't happen when I run the file on a Windows 95 machine.

>Blue Sky has no idea what's causing it. From what we can both tell, all my
>software is configured properly. It seems to me that the problem is with
>the character sets used by 3.1 and 95.

It may also deal with the fonts that are installed. If you are using
the Special Character set, it may look for a different font set on
the different platforms. This will translate the character into whatever
is the equivalent mapped character in the other font set. For example,
if you are using Dingbats for the bullets, make sure that Dingbats
is installed on both platforms.

Question: Does anyone know if RoboHelp embeds the fonts into the help
file? If this is an option, it may solve the problem.

One workaround that I did was to create a graphic bullet and insert
it as a graphic. This expanded the size of the file by a margin, but
the bullet always looked the same no matter where the file went.

Good luck

Alisa Dean
Sr. Technical Writer
alisa -dot- dean -at- mci -dot- com