Re: origin of a phrase

Subject: Re: origin of a phrase
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:39:01 -0600

Thom, on Monday, November 25, 1996 10:22 AM, you wrote:

>>Recently, I ran into a bit of controversy over the phrase "bigger bang for
>>the buck." I had always assumed that this had to do with explosives -
>>fireworks and the like, but I was told that it had originated as a
>>description dealing with prostitution. 'Nuff said.
>>
>>Question: Does anyone know *definitively* how this expression has arisen?
>>Has anyone else run into a problem with this expression?

From the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang (Volume 1
A-G) by J.E. Lighter:

"bang for the buck [fr. military spending; 'bang" in the sense of
'firepower'] value for one's money."

It goes on to cite several references: (1968) Safire New Language of
Politics, (1981) Business Week Sept 7, (1984) L.A. Times June 14, (1990)
U.S. News & World Report June 4, and 1992 Hosanskyu & Sparling Wording
Vice.

Kent
Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer