Re: Word lists for reading levels?

Subject: Re: Word lists for reading levels?
From: Pam Williams <grenadin -at- BIT-NET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 19:40:42 -0500

>The discussion (on TECHWR-L) of Latinisms prompts me to ask:

>Does anyone have access to a reference that lists the reading level (for
>example, 8th grade, 10th grade, etc.) for words?

>Regards...Kris
>===================================
>kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
>kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com

I don't know of a book that lists the reading level of individual words.
However, there is a tool for determining the reading level of a document
that is probably closer than you'd think: MS Word. Open your Word doc (or
import text into Word, if necessary) and select Grammar from the Tools
menu. Among the several things that the Grammar tool checks is the reading
level of the document. I use it less often than I probably should, but it's
nice to know that it's available.

Cheers!
Pam Williams

Pam Williams
Tech Writer, Reiki Master, and Bon Vivant
PO Box 476
Manchester, NH 03105 USA
grenadin -at- bit-net -dot- com