useful customer feedback

Subject: useful customer feedback
From: Miki Magyar <MDM0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:56:03 -0700

Beth in Tucson offered some excellent ideas for getting useful feedback
from tech support. Here's another -

I gave the tech support guys a checklist and asked them to track help
calls for a week. The list was simply designed, so all they had to do was
list the product and put a check mark for each call. The options included
such stuff as: Not in the manual, error in the manual, manual unclear, ESL
user, didn't read the manual, user is a jerk, and so on. After a bit of
prodding, they did it, and it provided some good data on what kinds of
changes I needed to make in the documentation.

But to get back to the original point, if you want feedback, you have to tell
your respondents what you want. The easier it is for them to do it, the
more likely you are to get what you need. That's why I like checklists and
specific questions.

Miki
mikim -at- mcdata -dot- com