Re: Mixed Message

Subject: Re: Mixed Message
From: David Dvorkin <ddvorki -at- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:49:55 -0700

Eric Haddock wrote:

> time. The suffix "-man" has changed over time like the meaning of every
> other word. (Nothing's static--especially not language and, I would hazard

Invalid argument, I think, Eric.

You also cited the example of "gay", and that one certainly has changed
meaning over the years. Or added an additional meaning in popular use,
I should probably say.

But the problem with the ending -man is that its meaning never did
change.
What changed was that some people misunderstood its meaning and confused
it with another word and therefore objected to its use. It's an
understandable confusion, but it's still a confusion, not a shift in
meaning.

David Dvorkin