Re: I need a word

Subject: Re: I need a word
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:25:29 +0800

Sarah, we tend to use 'organisation'. It covers small and large companies,
universities and government bodies. If a company is large enough for us
to be dealing separately with different divisions, the place is usually
run like a collection of mediaeval fiefdoms anyway, so treating them as
logically separate organisations doesn't really jar too much.

Within an organisation we refer to 'sites' or 'locations'. One organ-
isation, one point of support, one set of software licences, but perhaps
the software is used in several data centres.

I'm afraid I don't necessarily with Barry Kieffer, who said:
> You may want to use the same nomenclature as found on the ERD.

There is the software-centred view of the product, and there is the
customer-centred view. Sometimes they coincide but often there are good
reasons for viewing and naming things differently. To the person using
the software, Customer, Organisation and Company may well be different
things. To the software, the difference may not matter. Therefore the
name used in the ERD may not be a good choice.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
Functional Software Pty Ltd Fax: +61 9 328 8616