Writing Documentation vs. Marketing Material

Subject: Writing Documentation vs. Marketing Material
From: "Kim L. Shaw" <103205 -dot- 402 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:43:15 EST

Bill Sullivan wondered how writers make the transition from writing product
documentation to writing marketing pieces. I usually write straightforward
policy/procedure manuals and training material, but fairly often do sales
brochures, marketing videoscripts, and so forth. I wouldn't say the transition
is always easy, but I definitely value the opportunity to stretch and be a
little more creative. My clients generally want more facts and less hype, even
in their marketing material, but they still appreciate attention-getting
headlines and an enthusiastic tone. I enjoy being able to relax and play with
the language for a change, instead of concentrating mainly on accuracy and
clarity. Just my 2 cents' worth, but I think creating marketing material is a
great way to extend one's writing range.

Kim Shaw
Words & Graphics Inc.
103205 -dot- 402 -at- compuserve -dot- com