SUMMARY: capitalization

Subject: SUMMARY: capitalization
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:54:01 +0200

Last week, I asked for opinions about capitalizing
"boolean" and "trojan horse" (the latter referring to
a malevolent computer program in disguise, not to the
original work of carpentry). My question was whether
I can get away with them, since my inclination is to
"minimize use of capitals," in the words of the venerable
Department of Defense Style Guide MIL-HDBK-63038-2 and in
conformance with current fashion.

I received several thoughtful answers. Below, they
are reduced to statistics, but I'll gladly supply the
full texts offlist to anyone who requests them, and I
do thank everyone who responded.

On "boolean," the answers came in 3 to the effect that
yes, a writer can get away with lowercase; and 5 opposed.
I count as opposed the writer who noted that "If you are
clever enough, you can 'get away' with murder, counter-
feiting, and incest."

On "trojan," it was 4 to permit, and 3 opposed.

More than one writer wondered whether I had heard of
George Boole. I may not live in the USA, but yes, I
certainly remember who was president before Bill Clinton.

Thanks again to one and all.

- Mark L. Levinson - Memco Software - PO Box 58161 - 61581 Tel Aviv
- work: mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il / tel. 03-6487415 ext. 47 / fax 03-6487414
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il / tel. 09-9552411 or 09-9555720