Re[2]: Passive Voice? in Scientific Writing: Explanation

Subject: Re[2]: Passive Voice? in Scientific Writing: Explanation
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:01:20 GMT

Elaine gives a better example:

"For data reduction, the desired quantity is the response of the band after the
out-of-band has been removed."

Hmmmm. How about:

For data reduction, we want to know the response of the band after
the out-of-band signal has been removed.

or

Data reduction is the response of the band after we have removed
the out-of-band signal.

I'm guessing that this stuff is about measuring the loss in signal
and data after some sort of processing or transmission, after
filtering out the signal that falls outside the wanted frequency
band, but the original is so badly written (no blame to you,
Elaine) that it is hard to be sure.

I'd like to have tightened up on 'response of the band', and
'out-of-band', but maybe that's not an option, or maybe I've
guessed entirely wrongly about the subject.

Iain
iharrison -at- sct -dot- co -dot- uk