Re: Hard Hitting Computing

Subject: Re: Hard Hitting Computing
From: Matthew Stern <MAStern -at- PLATSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 08:49:00 -0800

Ben Hechter suggested:

>Maybe we could come up with a glossary of two-fisted computing terms.

I can think of more than a few such terms. However, I think we should
avoid using such terms when possible. The less violent terms are less
offensive and clearer than the more "hard-hitting" ones. Here are some
examples:

"Cancel" instead of "abort."
"Failure" instead of "crash" or "bomb."
"Recoverable error" instead of "non-fatal error."
"Nonrecoverable error" instead on "fatal error."
"Failure" instead of "crash" or "bomb."
"Warning" instead of the "exploding computer" picture used as a warning
icon in a number of user's manuals.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Stern
Sr. Technical Writer