Re: Microsoft Style Guide

Subject: Re: Microsoft Style Guide
From: Dianne Martin <MartinD -at- TRAVIS -dot- TYC -dot- STATE -dot- TX -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:10:00 PST

I have to admit to purchasing the MS Style Guide. I use it the same way
that I use other style guides, not as the only style book, but in addition
to others (including the AP Stylebook and the Chicago Manual of Style) MS's
is the one that, currently, best defines/describes computer terms. I write
software documentation and with the speed at which things change, I need a
reference for standardizing my references to things such as dialogs, drop
downs, etc.

However, we also have a basic style sheet in my department that helps to
outline the way a document should look. It is up to me (sole tech writer)
to determine the industry standards. If there is another book that defines
terms for the software biz, I would love to hear of it. I always get second
opinions where available.

Just my thoughts!
Dianne Martin
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Microsoft Style Guide
Date: Wednesday, November 06, 1996 9:24AM

Colleagues,

I just received a brochure, as I'm sure many of you out there did as
well, listing a number of books available in technical writing and
other related topics. One of these is the "Microsoft Manual of Style
for Technical Publications". I have seen this book referenced on this
list before. My question is, has it become the definitive style guide
for software/computer documentation, similar to the AP style book for
journalists? Is there a movement within the field to make it as such?
Hiring managers, is knowledge of Microsoft style something you look
for in applicants? Furthermore, is it worth $25 for my own personal
copy or does it cover mostly common sense grammatical stuff?

Any advice any of you can share would be appreciated. I'd also like to
hear from people who's departments have their own style guides, either
based on Microsoft's or totally distinct from it. Thanks.

- Dennis Callaghan
SunGard Capital Markets Inc.
Philadelphia, Pa.
dcallaghan -at- sungard -dot- com