Correct format to describe MIME type?

Subject: Correct format to describe MIME type?
From: Peter Trumper <trumper -at- BIDDEFORD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:19:47 -0500

Does anyone know the correct format for describing MIME types for HTML, or
know where I can find this sort of information?

I am trying to edit a paper that sometimes uses all caps, and sometimes
initial capped italics...and all I know is the seemingly inconsistent
format used in the helper applications window of Netscape.

Examples: CHEMICAL/X-PDB
IMAGE/GIF

Thanks!

Peter Trumper