Help System See-Also loops

Subject: Help System See-Also loops
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 13:34:59 -0500

I'm fixing up a help system. Most of the topics have a see-also popup.
Now, in a lot of cases, the topics belong to logical groups. For example,
there are topics that describe each of the database commands, of which
there are maybe ten. Each of those topics has a unique see-also popup
that refers to all the other topics in the group. This means that there
are ten almost identical popups. The only difference between those popups
is that the popup for, for example "open_database" doesn't have a
reference to "open_database."
I could save a significant amount of effort if I just used the same
see-also popup for all the topics in a group. The see-also lists would be
less likely to miss a topic, since they would be complete lists of topic
groups. The only downside is that there would be these loops: you click
on see-also, and one of the options is the topic you are looking at. How
much pain do you think such a loop causes?