Re: I need a title

Subject: Re: I need a title
From: David Locke <locke -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- ANADRILL -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 12:53:10 +0000

At 05:56 PM 11/4/96 +0100, you wrote:
> You would of thought that any decent bit of software used by the
> headhunters/agencies would be able realize that some different looking
> job titles actually amount to (more-or-less) the same thing :-)

> Thus far, I have held titles such as:

> - information developer
> - technical author
> - technical communicator
> - technical editor
> - technical writer

A technical editor and a technical writer are not the same thing. I've had a
few other titles not mentioned here.

The one thing I don't want to see is the adoption of the DPMA's catelog
approach now being used by some Human Resources departments. The DPMA's
approach specifies a job title based on a specific career sequence and
number of years in a given job. The real problem with the approach is that
it limits hiring to those who already have the job title on their resumes.
There is no room for growth under the DPMA appoach.

In addition, the DPMA is probably more responsible for the apparent shortage
of programmers back in the 60s and 70s than anyone else. Employers like MS
seem to be learning that anyone can program.

I belive that this thread started with someone who's job responsibilities
were well beyond those of a technical writer (communicator). That person
could really get away with the job title VP of Marketing, rather than
remaining in our own limited field. They may need to learn some marketing,
but the truth is they are already doing the work.

David

Locke -at- sugar-land -dot- anadrill -dot- slb -dot- com
P.O Box 386 (409) 925-8012
Santa Fe, TX 77517