Re: I need a title

Subject: Re: I need a title
From: Janet Renze <jrenze -at- CGN -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:28:54 -0600

Sella--
boy, does this sound familiar!!
>>I've recently taken on a new job as a lone tech writer, which necessitates that I do everything from software documentation and help files to marketing and recruiting literature. And while most of my work is writing, I'm also doing a lot of organizational/practical stuff that a small but rapidly growing software company desperately needs. Like picking a name for our new product and offering input on business plan strategy.
<<

The exact same thing happened to me at my current employer -- little did they
know how integral my role in the organization would become! The title I decided
"fit" was Technical Communicator. It kept me in the "techie" world--the stuff I
did for the software team, yet reflected the other communication functions I
performed, like presentations and marketing.

This lone-writer scenario can be very exciting and empowering if your management
has an appreciation for professional communication and the miracles you can
create. I have really enjoyed the chance to have a hand in so many aspects of
a growing company. My situation has soured of late, though, as the management
team (3 partners) has focused on explosive growth and ignored "finishing" anything.
The workload has spiraled out of control------this is leading to another painful
story--sorry!

anyway, when you pick a title, don't hesitate to ask for a job description and
frequent reviews! you'll be happy you did!

best wishes!
Janet Renze
jrenze -at- cgn -dot- org