Re: Help with sentence structure

Subject: Re: Help with sentence structure
From: Victor Chapel <victor -at- TRCINC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:12:43 -0400

Sue Heim asks:
>> Which of the following is correct:
>>
>> ...more may be required if a high number of records *is* retrieved
>> ...more may be required if a high number of records *are*
>> retrieved

> Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK> wrote:
> I'd rewrite it to say '...more may be required if many records are
> retrieved' because that is shorted and clearer.

Another approach could be:

...more may be required if retrieving a high number of records.

This eliminates the entire is/are problem. Also "is retrieved"
and "are retrieved" sound passive to me.

--
Victor Chapel The Technical Resource Connection Tampa
victorc -at- trcinc -dot- com 1-800-872-2992 http://www.trcinc.com