Re: Procedural Steps II

Subject: Re: Procedural Steps II
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 06:52:36 -0500

At 02:09 PM 10/31/96 -0500, Bruce Nevin <bnevin -at- CISCO -dot- COM> wrote about
numbering procedural steps and sub-steps:
<SNIP>

>The particular beast I have in mind was a good illustration of the maxim
>that anything so difficult to document needs to be (re)designed.
>This may be a thought to pursue in your case too.

Lofty ideal, not always possible.

I don't document software (well, not much, anyway). What I write about is
refineries. Starting up a refinery process unit involves bringing hundreds
of pieces of equipment into service. Each piece of equipment needs a series
of numbered steps, and the pieces must be started up in a specified order.
So I frequently end up with nested procedures.

Redesigning the interface isn't always an option.

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com